From Overture 6 – Georgia Foothills Presbytery
“Child Protection in the PCA”
“All church leaders should become informed and take an active stance toward preventing child sexual abuse in the church by screening staff and volunteers, training them in child protection, and actively maintaining child protection policies pertaining to our obligations to love our children and protect their rightful interests as God’s image-bearers from the devastating actions of abusers.” (Matthew 18:5-6)
CEP recommends the following resources regarding Child Safety:
- Child Safety Guidelines for Local Churches by Roger N. McNamara (Xulon Press)
- Safe Kids: Policies and Procedures for Protecting Children in the Church by Blake Caldwell (Beacon Hill)
- Preventing Child Abuse by Beth A Swagman (Faith Alive Christian Resources)
- Helps churches and nonprofit organizations develop policies and procedures to protect children and youth.
- Safekeeping by Henni Helleman, Patricia J Vos (Faith Alive Christian Resources)
- An age-appropriate two-session abuse prevention curriculum for grades K-8.
- Brotherhood Mutual Insurance—Brotherhood Mutual provides an Online library of safety and risk management materials created especially for churches and related ministries. The website has articles, checklists, guidebooks and tools, publications, sample forms, and training.
- MinistrySafe—MinistrySafe is another online ministry that trains church staff and volunteers in the area of child abuse prevention
- Website: www.MinistrySafe.com
- Safe Kids at Church
- Doulos Resources
Looking for VBS resources? Check these out…
VBS Reachout Adventures: This material reflect that the Bible is God’s Word, completely true and trustworthy. Their curricula have been written by members of the PCA who are committed to conforming their teaching to biblically reformed theology. They have recently relaunched with major new changes including: 5 day format, student logbooks, user-friendly director guide, simplified teacher guides. This year’s theme is Genesis 1 Space Probe: Seek out the Lord of the Universe.
The Wacky World of Water: Jump into a whole new way to do Vacation Bible School! For your church and community, The Wacky World of Water is a fun and engaging Bible program for children showing how God uses water throughout His Word to teach essential truths. For leaders and volunteers, it’s a simple and easy way to get kids involved in a dynamic Bible adventure without it becoming a time-consuming production.
Faith Expedition: God’s Treasure Revealed: Students will travel across time through the lives of Moses, David, Daniel, Matthew, Paul and Silas to discover how God gives his covenant people faith to follow his plan, believe his promises, and obey his plan. This exciting program incorporates skits, music, hands-on activities, rewards, and much more. Not only is the material fun, but it teaches children the redemptive, historical plan of salvation, gives children a biblical view of sin and their need for Christ, and challenges participants to share Christ with others.
Scottish Sleuths Vacation Bible School Curriculum: This VBS series by One Story Ministries has been designed to present the gospel of Jesus Christ to children through a week-long, intensive study of God’s Word. The Scottish Sleuths characters—Super Bible Sleuth Angus McTavish and Professor Dabney Thornwell symbolically portray the fact that we want our children to become “investigators” of God’s Word. These two detectives lead the children on a “Bible case” each year, alternating between stories in the Old and New Testaments.
- Teaching Your Children to Worship by Covenant Pres. in Chattanooga, TN.
- Gospel Powered Parenting by William P. Farley
- Parenting By God’s Promises by Joel Beeke
- Parenting in the Pew by Robbie Castleman
- Your Home: A Place of Grace by Susan Hunt
- You Are Ministers by John W Neal
- God’s Alphabet for Life by Joel Beeke and Heidi Boorsma
- My ABC Bible Verses by Susan Hunt
- The Child’s Story Bible by Catherine Vos
- The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones
- Train Up a Child by S. Windham (Thomas Kay)
- Rediscovering Catechism by Donald van Dyken
- Rediscovering Family Worship by Jerry Marcellino
- Family Worship by Joel Beeke
- Family Worship Book by Terry Johnson
- Grandpa’s Box by Starr Meade
- Training Hearts, Teaching Minds by Starr Meade
- Understanding the Faith by Stephen Smallman
- God’s Promises by Sally Michaels
- God’s Names by Sally Michaels
- Dinner Table Devotions by Nancy Guthrie
- Heart of the Home CD Study by Priscilla Stewart & Sue Jakes